Tuesday, May 26, 2009

My Ideal Home

My Ideal Home [Marcelo Moraes] [May 25th 2009]

My ideal home would be a loft that looked a bit like the one Nick Nolte has on the movie Tales from New York. His character is a painter, and his loft has very tall brick walls. It also seems to have only three rooms: the bedroom, the bathroom, and the big-everything-else-room. It looks like you could actually play football inside the big room. But mine would have to be way bigger, and here's why: I'd like to see all the plumbing and electrical wiring outside the walls, but behind a top-to-bottom glass. That would not only be a curious sight, but also make it very easy to locate the problem, in case of any malfunction with either system. Of course, the glass would need to be of a very strong kind, just in case I did decide to play some football. The furniture of this Glass House Inside a Loft should be very practical, and comfortable, and simple. The large empty space should be the main decoration. That would mean that the rare objects of art inside my home could be viewed from very afar, if me or one of my guests should feel like it. As you've probably guessed, my real home nowadays is not as huge and unclogged as I would wish it to be.

I believe my idea of a perfect home reflects something about myself that I have not hinted at yet: I love to dance alone. Of course, it is very amusing to meet friends and new people at night clubs, and to dance among a happy crowd to the loud beat blasting out of the speakers. But it is also very nice to do it more quietly, and without anyone stepping in your feet by accident. I believe we can learn a lot about someone's life philosophy, even in very practical terms, just by looking at what kind of furniture and ornaments this person has at home, and specially how it relates to, in scale and spatial location, to its rooms. The space I have before my stereo proves it.

1 comment:

Silvia D. said...

I dream of ceiling to floor windows and a view to the city lights from above.
And open spaces indoors just like you.

Clogged, though, is the definition to my tiny pad - sad lol