Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Generation 2000 against total chaos (part 110)

- Posição 2004: anything else you remember?
- There was a work with a block of ice on a table, and you could manipulate it with aluminum tools, and make some pretty spaced out sounds! And I also remember a pretty icy joke: a cross-stitch embroidery portrait of an unknown man, and I think it was untitled. One day, someone visiting the show looked at it and said it was Mohammed Atta, 9/11 suicide pilot. Almost undetected! That was weird, man! So my congrats to whoever did this bad taste gesture! Talk about shock value! I also remember this woman drawing directly into the glass door of one of the female restroom's stalls. You had to enter the restroom to see it properly. This probably led to some embarrassing moments, specially during the amazingly crowded opening night. I also remember this work that had two sides, A and B. It was on one of those things I don't know the name of. They are reclining wood walls with wheels to be pushed around, that people use to lean paintings against, when they are too big for the classic easel, and have two sides. Maybe they're called easels, too. Anyway, the main thing about it was that the guy called your attention to it, by using both sides! And one night, I think it was when Círculo do Sol took the empty pool, a woman with some eccentric clothes singing some opera thing. Maybe they were just opera clothes, I don't know much about opera. I just know it sounded and looked eerie and marvelous!
And if you go to Lagoa Rodrigo de Freitas, this lake in Rio de Janeiro City, right behind Ipanema Beach, you will see some waving sculptures in basic colors. They are like pendulums, a heavy structure on the lower side, and a paddle-like end high up on a stick. The high end was like two paddle blades making a cross, in order to better capture the winds, and keeping it moving, like a colored metal flower moving back and forth. They were there during the show, in front of the house. I love them! That's all I remember right now!

No comments: