Saturday, June 04, 2011

28 DAYS IN THE SHIT

I quit the library job and went looking for a job in a bookstore. I used a friend's printer to make copies of my CV and went to all the bookstores I knew. Mostly the people there looked like they didn't give a fuck about me wanting to work there. I guess it was because I was white and looked like I just had lunch. They wanted the starved ones that were easier to exploit. Then this bookstore phoned me. The owner was a beautiful jewish woman. Except she looked a bit strung out and worried. I was an idiot but I knew it was a stupid idea to try and fuck my boss. And this one was too stressed and didn't look like she found me hot at all. But the money was good enough. In a couple of days I found out that everybody who worked there was tired of her stressed up manners. Like we thought she should fuck off and sell the bookstore instead of getting so worked up about meaningless details. After 28 days I found out she was expecting me to do some work that I was idiot enough not to have foreseen. I was already fed up with verbal abuse. I told her I was not coming back the next day. She said I could not do that right when this book fair or something was about to happen. I could not believe how out of touch with reality her relatives and business advisers had let her become. So I explained to her that I was not asking for her permission to quit my job but actually informing her that I was not working for her anymore. I was sorry for about 90 percent of the people who worked there. They were nice to me and just could not quit. They needed the money really bad. I knew my parents were not going to let me starve. I might go crazy without money to buy the books I craved, but I would not starve. Another madman with enough grub to eat? I figured I would have to go back to the library and ask for another chance. But that was tomorrow. Today I was just gonna go home and stare at the ceiling while some noisy rock blasted out of the stereo. The sun felt cold next morning. But the ceiling looked peaceful that night.

No comments: