Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Generation 2000 against total chaos (part 5)

- Can you tell us why the art show was called POSIÇÃO 2004? Was this supposed to be some collective political stance?
- Well, I believe the original idea of us from éramos 3 was that the show should be as aesthetically varied as possible, like a map of all tendencies at the year 2004! So that's why we called it what would be translated as POSITION 2004! Like saying: this is where we are TODAY! As it evolved, it turned out to be a curator-free show, where the artists themselves chose what they were showing! I don't think there was any unified political view! We were just hoping that expressing ourselves would help the planet, I guess, but even that is not completely certain! I can't swear every single artist was optimistic! I'm sure I was and still am! The way I see it, we were trying to make some sense of a world gone mad! We can't ignore the fact that we were at the beginning of the World Trade War that started with the 9/11 terrorist attacks! It's almost 3 years later, and public opinion seems to have changed, specially in the United States! Back in 2004, it was like: WHAT'S GOING ON? WHAT CAN WE DO? Well, in my humble opinion, we did what Keith Richards once said was all the Rolling Stones could do: Keep on rockin' and hope for the best! I believe it was the Disco Era when he said that! Maybe we are still trying to get out of that crazy oil crisis, you know? I hope we don't destroy the human race in the process of trying to save the planet! Anyway, whatever happens next, I sure hope you are having some fun at least fifteen minutes every day, man! In the end, it might well be all you have, except for your inner core of hope!

No comments: