Sunday, May 06, 2007

Generation 2000 against total chaos (part 36)

- Did you see this story? The Revista do Globo has run a cover story about Geração 2000, that means Generation 2000! Care to comment?
- Well, some of them were at Posição 2004. And I believe that the Generation 2000 involves people of all ages, if they are tuned in to the free-form spirit of it. Because age is like the support: anything goes!
- Would you care to say something about the artists featured in the story? How about Antônio Bokel, Daniel Murgel, Júlio Callado, Luíza Baldan, and Gustavo Speridião? They were not part of Posição 2004.
- Well, I liked the small photo of Bokel's painting. I'm not sure I've seen his work before, but he seems to be all over the painting, trying to make it scream, and I like that punch! Daniel Murgel I know from Pyrata, a group show organised by Grupo Py on the Rio-Niterói ferryboat. He did a performance called The Curator, in which he went around freaking out and giving orders, and making sardonic comments on us artists. Great show! Callado's photo hit me as subtle despair, as you can't see where the the roads go, like they go nowhere. And then it feels peaceful. I like the unclear message thing! Baldan's photo was good because I don't understand what it is about the greens a blues of it that just got me mesmerized. I also can't understand the place where she took it, which adds to the spacey effect. Very good! And Speridião's cover graffitti was fantastic!
Calling a brick shape a cloud! Twelve lines, a word, a dot. Total Punk Rock Artcore!
-OK. Back to Posição 2004. Daniel Toledo.
- His Homem Espelho means Mirror Man, and is a heavy suit that covers his face, too, like a space suit made of broken glass! He just goes around smashing the world without any actual act of violence! It's a carnival of fragments! It's creepy and freaky and I love it!
- Joana Csekö?
- She did this triangular pile of POP washing machine soap. It was almost smashed to pieces at the opening night, because of the enormous crowd trying to walk around it. It was saved somehow, and rebuilt the next day, so it stayed on the show. She called it Persistent Organic Polluter, or something, and I really liked it. My notes don't go that far, because I was taking them while we were at Gê's place, during an éramos 3 meeting. I could not concentrate, and started taking notes from the forms that the artists filled for us to organise the space inside the show. I suppose Gê still have them projects. I went as far as letter D. Anyway, the POP triangular pile was one big slab of political art fun, thank you very much!
- Guga Ferraz?
- That guy is great! He was selling cleaning cloths, like the one's janitors and maids use to wipe the floor here in Brazil. They were white and had the face of George W. Bush silk-screened to it. I just love his sense of humor! I'm sure President Bush can tolerate this, for he believes in democracy.
- Bernardo Pinheiro?
- He did this excellent video-installation, that left some people quite disturbed. If you are sensitive about images of eyes, I would not advise going inside. If you like Un Chien Andalou, then it's pretty much nice clean fun. I watched it several times, for it was short enough, and sharp fun, for sure!
- Are you upset that Revista do Globo never once mentions Posição 2004?
- Oh, they will mention it soon enough. Just wait and see.

No comments: