Sunday, May 13, 2007

Generation 2000 against total chaos (part 40)

- Posição 2004: your notes.
- OK. Andréa Facchini: Volúpia, which means Voluptuousness. That was a painting tryptic I liked very much. I believe the images were of a mountain of folded colorful fabric. That's what hit me, anyway. I liked her technique, and being a feast for the eyes is quite enough for me.
- OK. Next?
- Anna Braga: Puro Álibi, which means Pure Alibi. I liked her installation, even if I can't say I know what she meant. There were some signs hanging from the trees in the park outside the mansion, as if it were some kind of stark pop prophesy. I vaguely remember a white statue, maybe just the head of a bust, emerging from the bathtub of the mansion, which was full of coal or some other black stuff. I think there was a mirror in front of it. Anyway, it felt quite ominous, and that's good enough for me!
- OK. Next?
- Arjan Martins: painting directly on the wall, untitled. I just love what he does to walls and paper rectangles. This one was probably one of his best stuff ever! He likes to draw bones in this brown-red paint, like its dry blood, or something similar. It can be quite disturbing at times. And for this one, he also stuck a bullet to the wall, and guess what? He found the bullet in his own home! It was a stray bullet that could have actually killed him! Now, he does not pretend to be a hero of any kind, as I see it. I saw him telling the story of how he found it, and he is just an artist that paints and draws what he sees and feels, and this time around he just felt he had to put this piece of metal into the picture. It works for me!
- OK. Next?
- Baby Bittencourt: EAVMaria, which is a contraction of EAV (the name of the visual art school where the show happened), and Ave Maria, which means Holy Mary, the catholic prayer. It was a great place for me to be, her installation. It looked like an improvised chapel, with all seats different from each other. Mostly stools, if I remember it right. And, instead of an altar, this screen that showed a series of photos of herself, dressed as a smiling Holy Mary, under the arches at the entrance of the school. She was floating, friendly, and a true ecumenic blessing! Amen!

No comments: