Sunday, July 03, 2011

DISBELIEVE

Nineteen years down the road she would be a beautiful young woman with a nice young boyfriend and series of jobs that payed her bills and maybe even were a bit of fun. But at that moment she was this little girl telling me about a schoolboy she knew that went deaf because of some sickness. Her mother was talking to my wife just a couple of steps away but the little girl was telling me and only me the sad story. She did not raise her voice. It was almost a whisper. She looked at me like she also meant to say that she knew life was a violent and meaningless time before we die. But she said this just by looking into my eyes. I was speechless for one second. Then I stared at the floor. Then her mother said something that brought us into their conversation. Their conversation was a place where life could feel lighter if you laughed about yourself. She was so young I hope she does not remember the boy unless there is something she can do about it. Which I doubt. I hope she never reads this story. I am truly sorry I cannot erase it. I wish I knew why. But only if there was something I could do about it. Which I strongly disbelieve.

No comments: