Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Generation 2000 against total chaos (part 174)

- Posição 2004: looking at the info. Next?
- Ana Torres. Série Janelas I, which means Windows Series I. Her texts explain that it was a 3 x 9 meters billboard somewhere in the city, combined with a display at the art show, with graphic material (free postcards, as I remember it) that showed information about the location of the "instauração" (as she called it). That would mean "instauration" in english, but I am not sure that the word exists. It comes from the verb instaurar, which means to establish or set up. What's on the billboard? The printed photo shows that it was a photograph without any text. You wouldn't know from it alone that the billboard was part of an art show. The photo looks like it was taken from inside a train. You see a city below, with a car driving along an avenue lined with trees, and buildings on the background. The sky looks blueish white and, to the right, you see a building closer to you that seems to be under construction, with what looks like an airplane being part of its roof. Her text says that the image is being constantly rephotographed, as it is set up in different urban environs, so that it contains a record of all its previous exhibitions. She also says that the idea is to keep this transformation and geographic movement until the image goes back in a different way to the streets of Berlin, where it came from. I still don't know what is the theme here, but I think it is beautiful and strange enough for me, and I like it. Good show!

No comments: