Wednesday, July 30, 2008

In My Dreams I Am A Great Artist

I remember you asked me about my art, that you found a little difficult to understand. My answer sounded like a joke, and you thought better to laugh and let go. Truth is:

1. At a level that some people take seriously, I paint and draw over blank canvas and paper, producing images. Some examples were at my show in Sampa, last May and June;

2. At a level that less people take seriously, I also draw on paper that is not blank, producing drawings over photos and printed stuff, most of which I give to people I don't know, over the mail. I call this Expo Free Sample, and you and Odyr
have already seen some examples;

3. At a level that even less people take seriously, I produce videos like Planetary Agency For The Irradiation of Booze, and do that performance in which I drink and give away booze in the name of science. And I say I'm doing a 24 hour performance called In My Dreams I Am A Great Artist, in which I work during the day, paint and draw at night, and dream when I sleep.

What does it all mean? I don't know if it has much meaning, but I believe it is serious and hilarious, like this text here.

Lembro que você me perguntou sobre a minha arte, que achou meio difícil de entender.
Minha resposta pareceu uma piada, e você achou melhor rir e deixar pra lá. Mas a
real é o seguinte:

1. Num nível que algumas pessoas levam a sério, eu pinto e desenho sobre telas e
papel em branco, produzindo imagens. Alguns exemplos estavam na minha exposição
em Sampa, em maio e junho deste ano;

2. Num nível que menos gente leva a sério, desenho também sobre folhas que não
estavam em branco, produzindo desenhos sobre fotografias e impressos, a maioria
dos quais dou de presente para pessoas desconhecidas, pelo correio. Chamo isso de
Expo Free Sample (Exposição Amostra Grátis), e você e o Odyr já viram exemplos;

3. Num nível que ainda menos gente leva a sério, produzo vídeos como o Planetary
Agency For The Irradiation of Booze, e faço a tal performance de beber e distribuir
birita em nome da ciência. E digo que faço uma performance 24 horas chamada
Em Meus Sonhos Sou Um Grande Artista, na qual trabalho de dia, desenho e pinto
de noite, e sonho quando durmo.

O que significa tudo isso? Não sei se tem muito significado, mas acredito que seja
sério e hilário, assim como esse texto aqui.

No comments: