Monday, March 07, 2011

So lucky

- All we can tell you for now is that you were walking down a street when a bullet hit you through the chest. You just had a couple of seconds to see that you were dying and now you are here. You are safe and this is not a test. We are just asking you to tell us, if you want to, about your life. Short or long story, you decide. Tell us what you think is important to let people know about your life. Or what you feel you must tell someone. Even just one word, if you feel it is the best way to tell your story.
- OK. Well, I was Brazilian. I used to like best English and History at school. I was over thirty when the 9/11 attacks happened. I saw the news on TV and thought right away that the whole world was in deep trouble. But eventually I gave up worrying about a society that just seemed to be a huge machine that killed people for money, either slowly or very fast. I didn't feel that there was something I could do except write some fiction that never would be published by the big shots and get drunk when I was not working at some office and that was it. Of course I fell in love with some women and men. Most people do. I hope they have mostly good memories of me. I guess I was lucky to get that much love. Some do not seem to get any. Not even some nice meaningless sex for a change. I can't say I understand the reason behind all this suffering. God knows I wish I did. I don't know why I was so lucky. I want to thank whoever it was that gave me such a lucky life. Face to face, if I may.

No comments: